[ RadSafe ] All the Energy We Will Need for Millennia

Jeff Terry terryj at iit.edu
Wed Oct 5 13:38:06 CDT 2011

The best thought out numbers that I have seen on Energy costs are in the book, "The Geopolitics of Energy." Everyone has a bias when putting together these calculations, but I think that it has the best that I have seen. I don't believe that the conclusions can be implemented, but I am not optimistic by nature.

Bats in the US are quickly becoming endangered due to White Nose Syndrome with mortality of 90-100%. http://www.fws.gov/whitenosesyndrome/
Additional pressure from wind turbines could easily push the species over the edge.

The wind industry is lucky that people are afraid of bats, if each turbine was killing 20-40 cute bunny rabbits, they would have been banned already.

If you figure that you need 1 million windmills to generate 4 trillion kwhr of energy in the US, probably a generous estimate to windpower. You are looking at killing 20 million bats per year. Bats have 1 offspring per year, they are not like mice with large broods. Estimates from bat experts suggest that they will be extinct in 20 years only considering the disease. http://www.bu.edu/cecb/bats/

The loss of bats will likely increase West Nile Virus deaths in humans due to excess mosquitos. Stop Windpower now. People don't kill people, windmills do.

Excess condensation in the contrails will likely affect crop growth. Many of these issues have not been investigated.

Windmill and solar power generation have not been vetted. Nuclear has.

Jeff