[ RadSafe ] Forwarded: Re: rational thought

Ted de Castro tdc at xrayted.com
Wed Oct 5 14:26:13 CDT 2011

Indeed - Corn is notorious for nitrogen depletion of the soil - and thus
one of the uses of petroleum products as soil amendments in farming.

The grasses under consideration grow in the wild year after year.  I
will presume that MOST of them die where they sprout and thus return
minerals to the same soil - but I'm also sure that much is eaten and
redeposited elsewhere.

Most certainly fertilization needs must be considered - but if you've
ever driven past a feed lot - you'll quickly realize that fertilizer is
in ample supply.

Considerable work has been done at LBL on the grass (and other crude
cellulose ag waste) as biofuel and I would be surprised if soil
replenishment was not considered - but it was not mention in the
presentation I attended.

In any event - if crop rotation can solve this issue for corn - it can
certainly be applied here.  This is not new technology.

And of course - there is no such thing as a free lunch - so there will
be costs.  HOWEVER it DOES represent integration of solar energy over
many acres with little infrastructure - no windmill towers or racks of
PV panels - and over an annual growing season with an already
demonstrated net efficiency of 2% and with existing time tested technology.