[ RadSafe ] Drawing the line between science and pseudo-science. (was Rational Thought)

Bob Cherry bobcherry at satx.rr.com
Wed Oct 5 22:40:25 CDT 2011

The December 1996 issue of the HPS Newsletter refers to an even earlier
issue:

Every issue of the HPS Newsletter seems to have information
important enough to reference. The August
1971 issue is no exception. An exceptional event was
described in that issue. After Ernest Sternglass presented
a paper on an epidemiological study describing health
effects from nuclear facilities discharges, Dade Moeller,
President-Elect, read a statement that had been signed by
Claire Palmiter, President. and all 13 past presidents of
the Society.

In part. it stated that Sternglass had presented papers
in which he associates an increase in infant mortality
with low levels of radiation exposure ... His allegations
made in several forms, have in each instance been ana.
lyzed by scientists, physicians, and biostatisticians in the
federal government, in individual states that have been
involved in his reports. and by qualified scientists in other
countries. . Without exception, these agencies and scientists
have concluded that Dr. Sternglass' arguments are
not substantiated by the data he presents. The United
States Public Health Service, the Environmental Protection
Agency, the States of New York, Pennsylvania,
Michigan, and Illinois have issued formal reports in rebuttal
of Dr. Sternglass' arguments.

Again. in spite of the efforts by the most respected
authorities to prevent the widespread broadcasting of
Sternglass' flawed perceptions, Sternglass was sought for
comments by the media and his story told countless times.
The public was presented with fearful misinformation.
Many members of the Society wanted stronger efforts to
counter erroneous information, but our story was not
considered newsworthy by the media.

--from Bob C