[ RadSafe ] Ru-Fe electrolysis anode alloy (was Re: All the Energy We Will Need for Millennia)

James Salsman jsalsman at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 11:21:13 CDT 2011

Steven Dapra wrote:

> James, how about telling us something about that
> ruthenium-iron alloy you were touting a few days ago.

This has nothing to do with radiation protection, but see:
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/cctc.201000126/full
and/or
http://www.springerlink.com/content/tnq1w83335173925/

The theory of how this alloy was discovered will probably be of more
interest to most people on this list who aren't directly involved with
electrolysis systems:
http://jcp.aip.org/resource/1/jcpsa6/v128/i18/p182503_s1
http://www.nature.com/nchem/journal/v1/n1/abs/nchem.121.html
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0360056402450134

This paper has more information about the actual space that needs to
be searched for such discoveries (including cost, durability,
selectivity, etc.) but it describes a different reaction:
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0021951706000674

James Salsman