[ RadSafe ] Cohen's radon results and LNT

Steven Dapra sjd at swcp.com
Mon Oct 10 02:12:26 CDT 2011

Oct. 10

         In his letter to the BMJ, Busby invokes the work of Cleone
Rooney et al. (BMJ, 307:1391-1397; Nov. 27, 1993) wherein (Busby
says) they report "an increased risk of prostatic cancer in men
exposed to certain internally incorporated nuclides,including Sr-90,
Cs-137, and Cs-134."  (I am quoting from Busby's letter and have
abbreviated the names of the radionuclides.  I have not read the
paper by Rooney et al.)  Busby goes on to claim that beginning in
1975 Wales saw an increase in bone cancer.  I should point out that
the work by Rooney et al. was an evaluation of prostatic cancer among
employees of the United Kingdom Atomic Energy Authority, not among
residents of Wales.  (In partial support of his claim, Busby cites
his 1994 book, "Radiation and cancer in Wales.")

         In a letter to the BMJ (308:859; March 26, 1994), M. Cotter
of the Wales Cancer Registry says, "Considerable care is needed in
drawing conclusions from comparisons of the published data for
England and Wales."  Cotter goes on to note that cancer incidence
figures "may have been inflated by the inclusion of secondary
cancers," and that "The limitations of the published data have been
openly acknowledged in the past, not least in correspondence with the
Wales Green party."

Steven Dapra