[ RadSafe ] nukes & viruses

Cary Renquist cary.renquist at ezag.com
Wed Oct 12 21:36:27 CDT 2011

I'll drift a bit OT...
If you would like to take a bit of Duane's advice and try an
alternative, here is a link to a Engineering-focused Linux distribution
that can be booted off of a DVD (a pen-drive as well) -- the official
name of the distribution is Computer-Aided Engineering in Linux.

It is a big download, ~4 GB (because it is crammed with many of the
major engineering/science/stats/math apps out there)
The focus is on scientific computing and mathematical modeling with
emphasis on finite element simulation and computational fluid dynamics
Just insert the CAELinux LiveDVD in your computer to turn it into a
professional CAE workstation: no installation is required!

Linux Journal has a brief overview of it here:
Computer-Aided Engineering in Linux
http://j.mp/o85LPo

CAElinux
http://j.mp/pHv3Fv

If you want a very secure one to try, the Air Force just released a
distro called "Lightweight Portable Security" that is designed to boot
off of a pen-drive -- gives you basic Office-type programs and presents
a Win XP like interface (in a very secure environment).

If you want to "keep it in the <rad-related> family", Fermilab has their
Scientific Linux distribution (it doesn't have lots-o-science-programs,
that is just the name they selected many years ago).

Happy Computing,
Cary

---
Cary Renquist