[ RadSafe ] Reactors, Windmills, and all that

franz.schoenhofer at chello.at franz.schoenhofer at chello.at
Mon Oct 17 13:14:28 CDT 2011

RADSAFErs,
Please no speculations on foreign languages! "Bayer" is a rather common family name, one of my aunts acquired it through marriage, but was genuine Austrian. What you English speaking people call "Bavaria" is in German "Bayern". The "n" makes a lot of difference!

A person from Bavaria is  "ein Bayer" (or if female: "eine Bayerin"). The name is derived from a historic Germanic tribe - the Bojer. In the middle ages the Bavarians cultivated large areas in Europe, also most of nowadays Austria.

So much my short lecture on German.....

Best regards,

Franz