[ RadSafe ] Findings of enriched U in Fallujah and elsewhere

Roger Helbig rwhelbig at gmail.com
Tue Oct 18 16:50:34 CDT 2011

Busby first claimed that "enriched U" was used to defeat normal DU detection
on this webpage that he created because the UN Environment Programme (UNEP)
Post Conflict Branch tested all 32 sites where DU was claimed to have been
used by Israel in Lebanon

http://www.llrc.org/du/subtopic/breakingwinds2.htm

The UNEP report on the swipe smear samples tested by Spiez Laboratories in
Switzerland is here
http://postconflict.unep.ch/publications/UNEP_Lebanon.pdf

Here is a brief abstract of the relevant pages of the UNEP report

Pages 6,7 in Foreword discuss that 32 sites were examined and that no DU was
found

Pages 10, 36-38 (Sampling & Measurement equipment and techniques) and
145-153
(Weapons team findings) and 164 are germane to whether or not DU or any
other
"uranium weapon" as Chris Busby and his adherents like to call them, had
been
used. Bunker busters are specifically discussed and the negative results of
smears of the walls of destroyed underground facilities are specifically
mentioned. No
Uranium was found.

DU penetrator rounds were not used in Fallujah.  I have a report from US
Marine Corps tank company commander that I can send anyone who asks - here
is part of a similar report from another website -
http://thedonovan.com/archives/003346.html

TTPs: Tanks would be used to soften enemy strongpointed buildings using tank
main gun (120mm HEAT was the preferred choice). For particularly stubborn
strongpoints, the D-9 dozer would then further reduce the building after
tanks finished engaging with main gun. Tanks would then provide overwatch
for the dozer's reduction while the infantry was poised to continue clearing
operations. Tanks were often the weapon of choice against enemy in
strongpoints are taking cover behind walls. We even had situations where
artillery forward observers and even ODA sniper teams requested tank support
and talked on the tanks as the maneuvered into firing positions to kill
insurgents hiding behind walls with main gun.

HEAT is High Explosive Anti-Tank - another report indicated that you can not
safely use "sabot rounds" with infantry because the sabots are hazardous for
1000 yards out from the tank gun's barrel - the only sabot round is the DU
kinetic energy penetrator round for the 120mm main gun of the M1 Abrams
tank.  Kinetic energy penetrator rounds are only effective against heavy
armor since they pass through and punch fairly small holes in any other kind
of target.

 Roger Helbig

On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 12:24 PM, Glenn R. Marshall <
GRMarshall at philotechnics.com> wrote:

> Maybe Saddam spilled a little enriched U while hastily getting out of the
country.....  That's at least as plausible as the notion that enriched U
penetrators were used on the battlefield.

radsafe-bounces at health.phys.iit.edu] On Behalf Of Busby, Chris
> Sent: Tuesday, October 18, 2011 3:16 PM
> To: Joe Toole; The International Radiation Protection (Health Physics)
Mailing List; List Radsafe
> Subject: Re: [ RadSafe ] Findings of enriched U in Fallujah and elsewhere
>
> No, that isnt the case. I can see why you might believe that. These were
two separate labs, one in UK and one in Germany. In addition the Lebanon
samples were tested by ICPMS in UK and by alpha spectrometry in UK at a
separate lab run by David Assinder (qv). The soil samples Fallujah were
extracted  and the uranium concentrated by ion exchange to the point that
there was no mistake. The 95% confidence limits were determined: look at the
paper.
> Chris

in other recent battlefields, notably in the Lebanon, where soil from a
missile crater in Khiam and also dust from an ambulance air filter both
showed the presence of Enriched Uranium in 2006, a finding reported in The
Independent by Robert Fisk. The authors are unable to explain why these
weapons contain or produce slightly enriched Uranium and call for the
military to now reveal the truth about the weapons systems being employed in
modern battlefields. >>

> It is not clear from Prof Busby's post where these mass spectrometric
measurements were done. What I do think is that that the laboratory has an
uncorrected measurement bias. Try running a soil or grass sample from Green
Audit's back garden in the same lab, you may scare yourself. To extrapolate
an uncorrected measurement bias to conclude the existence and widespread use
of enriched uranium weaponry is rather silly.
visit: http://health.phys.iit.edu

visit: http://health.phys.iit.edu