[ RadSafe ] CIA endangers NUMEC toxic waste cleanup

Bernard L. Cohen blc at pitt.edu
Thu Oct 20 10:22:23 CDT 2011

It is my understanding that the Israeli nuclear bombs are fueled by
plutonium produced in their Dimona reactor, not by enriched uranium as
implied in this article. There has been a great deal of publicity about
their plutonium program including a bomb factory below the reactor as
revealed by a former worker there. Plutonium is a better material for
bombs.
The radiation hazards from the former Numec plant, including its wastes,
were the subject of a lengthy court proceeding which I believe has still
not been settled. From reading the court proceedings, which I did as a
consultant, the harm to public health has been essentially negligible.
Note that the article gives no quantitative information on the harm to
public health,but implies that it is substantial.