[ RadSafe ] Nuclear Plants Cancelled? -was RE: US power reactor information

Stewart Farber SAFarber at optonline.net
Fri Oct 21 14:10:09 CDT 2011

I recall the original question about reactors  included an interest in
finding a list that included not just power plants that were operating or
had been operating, but facilities that might have been proposed and then
cancelled. If not,  I'd like to see the latter info. I'm trying to get a
good list of the latter.

It would be very useful to see what nuclear power plant projects were
cancelled after initial licensing like Environmental Reports [ER back in the
1970s] and Preliminary Safety Analysis Report [PSAR] with some having gone
ahead to site preparation,  and even construction before being cancelled.

I'd like to see such a list since it would give an idea of some of the many
financial, environmental, and strategic costs involved. I'm familiar with a
few cancelled nuclear plants in and around New England, including:
Charlestown, RI [Charleston 1 and 2 -each 1050 MW[e] proposed by New England
Electric System -cancelled 1981;
Greene County Nuclear Plant [ 1000 MW[e] proposed by New York Power
Authority -Cancelled in 1979 - distinction of being the FIRST nuclear plant
project cancelled after TMI];
Seabrook II [ 1,050 MW[e] - cancelled 1984 after containment partially
erected - See the rusting containment of Unit 2 before it was covered when
FP&L purchased it:
http://bruceatkinson.com/seabrookstation/images/overview_2.jpg

How much up-front monies have been wasted by our society? How much was lost
in integrated cost savings because today's nuclear plants are generating the
least expensive power available today, even though the price of plant
construction had been driven up because of delays in licensing caused by
various anti-nuclear interests.

How much air pollution, with consequent health and environmental costs,
could have been avoided? >  For each nuclear plant cancelled and not
operating for the past 25 years, in most cases a coal fired power plant has
been built in its place to equal the nuclear generating capacity lost. It's
been calculated that the operation of EACH 1000 MW[e] coal plant causes
health impacts --about 100 premature deaths [emphysema, bronchitis, lung
cancer, etc.] per year of operation due to fine particulates, and acid gases
like sulfur dioxide and oxides of nitrogen, and releases of air toxics like
mercury, that would not have occurred if these coal plants had been not
built because a nuclear plant was meeting the electric demand?

There are presently about 600 coal fired power plants in the US generating
the power equivalent to that which would be produced by about 250  1,000
MW[e] nuclear plants. See:

<http://www.ucsusa.org/clean_energy/coalvswind/c01.html>

The operation of those 250 coal plants in the US cause about 24,000
premature deaths in the US population each year based on calculations by the
EPA that are orders of magnitude more certain that there being any health
effects from 100 of today's nuclear plants in the US causing 150 person-Sv
among the entire population.  During the past 30 years since the TMI
accident, coal plants operating in place of nuclear plants have likely
caused the premature deaths of at least 400,000 people.

In contrast, NCRP Report 160 recently reported that the 100 nuclear plants
in this country result in a total of  150 person-Sv per year.

This nuclear fuel cycle for 100 nuclear plants in the US, in ["Person-Sv]
summary compares to:

--"Ubiquitous Background"- 933,000 [ 50%]
--"Medical" - 899,000  [49%]
-- Nuclear Power - 150

So nuclear energy results in an average dose of  0.5 micro-Sv per capita =
0.005 mR  = 5 microR, or the radiation exposure a person receives in about 9
minutes of "Ubiquitous Background".

Scaremongering by clever, well spoken, but disingenuous anti-nuclear
activists, and magic pill hucksters devoting their life to fight nuclear
energy and radiation exposure based on poorly founded claims, does not
change the above trivial measured and documented radiation dose from nuclear
power.

How much electricity will we not be able to generate and supply for electric
vehicles at a reasonable price, assuming we  get a substantial number of
electric vehicles requiring huge amounts of electricity in the next few
decades? Without an adequate supply of electricity, when and where needed,
it is likely that the growth of electric vehicles will be constrained and
more oil will be imported. The strategic, and economic threats this poses to
any nation finding itself importing more oil to support its domestic needs
vs. generating its energy from nuclear sources is many, many, many orders of
magnitude higher and more real that any theoretical risk based on LNT from
trivial radiation exposures. The US will be paying the human and economic
costs of Gulf War 1 [to protect Kuwait and oil supply routes] and  Gulf War
II [arguably related to oil supply issues] for many decades. Not having
domestic nuclear power generation has costs and impacts that dwarf any
unscientific, fevered imaginings of scaremongering anti-nuclear activists.

Stewart Farber, MS Public Health
Farber Medical Solutions, LLC
email: SAFarber at optonline.net
203-441-8433