[ RadSafe ] is uranium genotoxic? (was Re: CB interview on enrichedU)

Thu Oct 27 12:47:38 CDT 2011

Upon review of the document that you linked to, the problem becomes
clear: you don't know what you are talking about, and apparently don't
understand what you read.

The document you linked to said:

"Isotope analyses to determine the types of uranium present show that
0.0028 per cent of the uranium in the penetrators is in the form of
isotope U-236.  The presence of U-236 indicates that part of the DU came
from reprocessed uranium.  This information was provided by one of the
five laboratories being used by UNEP for its DU assessment work.
According to the laboratory, the content of U-236 in the depleted
uranium is so small that the radiotoxicity is not changed compared to DU
without U-236.  However, the final assessment by UNEP will be made only
once results from all laboratories are available."

This paragraph says several things.

It says that one of five labs found U-236 in very small amounts, leaving
open the question of whether the other labs also found it and hadn't
reported it, or hadn't found it, which in turn leaves open the question
of whether U-236 was present only in the samples that went to one lab,
or if it were missed by the other labs, or if it was identified by
mistake by the lab that reported it.  All are possible.

It also says that the presence of U-236 indicates that part of the
depleted uranium came from reprocessed uranium.  Reprocessed uranium is
not the same as enriched uranium.  Enriched uranium contains a greater
percentage of U-235 than natural uranium; usually in at least the
several percent range.  This article does not mention U-235, and given
the tiny, tiny amount of U-236 mentioned, one would expect that it would
have come up.

The article also clearly states that the samples were collected in
Kosovo, where there has never been any doubt that DU munitions were
used, presumably mostly against armored vehicles, for which it is most
effective.  It's use in Kosovo does not imply its use in Fallujah, where
there were no armored vehicles on the insurgent side.

Usually, if I cite something in support of an argument, it has something
to do with that argument.  Just saying.