[ RadSafe ] is uranium genotoxic? (was Re: CB interview on enriched U)

Steven Dapra sjd at swcp.com
Thu Oct 27 21:50:43 CDT 2011

Oct. 27

         Comments interspersed.

Steven Dapra

At 07:32 AM 10/27/2011, you wrote:
>Mike Brennan wrote:
>
> >... The idea that a lab identified "enriched uranium", supposedly
> > from projectiles, is absurd.  Either the people in the lab didn't
> > know what they were doing (possible) or their results were
> > misrepresented (also possible).
>
>It may be absurd, but it's not the first time this has happened.
>Durakovic reported an isotope ratio indicating enriched uranium
>in soil samples in Afghanistan, and the UN admitted some
>reprocessed fuel had made it into some DU munitions in Kosovo:
>http://www.un.org/News/Press/docs/2001/unep81.doc.htm

         This is a 2001 press release from the United Nations
Environment Programme.  Not a peer-reviewed paper, and not even an
official report.  I'm not saying it's wrong in any way, I'm merely
saying it's about as superficial an assessment as one could
find.  Furthermore the release is based upon the findings of but one
of the five laboratories hired by the UNEP to do DU assessments.  The
release even specifies that "the final assessment by UNEP will be
made only once results from all laboratories are available."

         Even if some re-processed fuel did make it into some DU, so
what?  ThIs proves nothing about the human health effects of DU, and
it's a worthless argument --- unless you're using it as a red
herring, James.  It would not surprise me at all if you are.
SD

>Again, do you believe that uranium is a genotoxin or not?  The
>literature is abundantly clear on the issue, and I wonder why
>people on this list get so upset about the question.  Dr. Raabe
>has stated quite clearly that uranium is not a genotoxin, and
>Lt. Cherry has testified to that effect.  It seems like RadSafers
>ought to be able to decide whether they believe them or the
>peer reviewed literature reviews, or is that question just too
>hard for a yes or no answer?

         James, you're pretty good at asking questions.  Let's see
how good you are at answering them.  Do you believe that uranium is a
genotoxin?  I'm looking for a yes or no answer.  Or "is that question
just too hard for a yes or no answer?"
SD

>Steven Dapra wrote:
>
> > Salsman gives a link to a paper by Craft, et al. in the Journal of
> > Toxicology and Environmental Health, Part B, 7:297317, 2004.
> > In its section on "DNA Damage/Carcinogenicity," (p. 308)
> > Apparently Craft et al. are right alongside Dr. Raabe and
> > Col. Cherry in not believing that DU is a genotoxin.
>
>I am sending a cc of this message to Dr. Craft. I am not sure
>she will appreciate how Mr. Dapra has characterized pp. 308-9 of
>http://www.dmzhawaii.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/health-overview-04.pdf

         Well I can't wait to hear what Dr. Craft has to say about
it.  Or to put it differently, I don't appreciate you sending my
e-mails around, especially without asking.  Who do you think you are?
SD

> > I suspect Salsman's request that as a Navy veteran you can help
> > him obtain statistics is a clever and  subtle way of insulting you
>
>No, I honestly haven't been able to get anything out of the Birth and
>Infant Health Registry, even though they were publishing annual
>reports right up until 2001 when the birth defect rate for combat
>versus noncombat 1991 Gulf War veterans started to skyrocket.  I just
>thought Mike might be interested enough to help, too.  Does anyone
>know a good FOIA attorney?

         If you're so interested why don't you help yourself by
calling your buddy Han Kang?  If you want an attorney may I suggest
that you use the Yellow Pages?
SD

>Now that it's 20 years out, will someone publish the cancer rate
>statistics for those two groups?

         I don't know.  Will someone publish them?
SD