[ RadSafe ] some radium history and Radium in India

parthasarathy k s ksparth at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Oct 28 11:49:42 CDT 2011

Dear Bjorn,

In 2006, I wrote a popular science article in the Science & Technology section of a popular English language daily in India. You can access it at:
http://www.hindu.com/thehindu/thscrip/print.pl?file=2006072700081500.htm&date=2006/07/27/&prd=seta&

There are interesting snippets about the way radium was handled in the early years. One of the assistants Madame Curie had significant amount of radium burden so that the electroscope used to measure activity collapsed whenever he approached it!. I have also read that Curie's grave could be identified by an ordinary Geiger Mueller counter because of her body burden.

The first stock of radium tubes and needles was imported into India in 1930. We had a total inventory of about 16 gms in 65 institutions. I have developed a mailed detector method to identify leaky sources as the hospitals who own them did not have even simple Geiger Mueller Counters. These are solid state track detectors (foils of cellulose nitrate) which are sensitive alpha particles.

AS large numbers of the radium tubes aand needles were leaky we replaced them with safer substitutes. Bhabha Atomic Research Centre assisted the hospitals to dispose of the sources safely

Regards
Parthasarathy