[ RadSafe ] Radium history question - internal contamination

edmond0033 at comcast.net edmond0033 at comcast.net
Fri Oct 28 12:53:35 CDT 2011

There was a home in Lansdowne, PA of a Physician who used Radium in his
practice.  As you may know or not that the buildup of Helium in these
needles caused them ruptured. The house was contaminated.  The Commonwealth
of PA and the U.S. Public Health Service (under the direction of Adm. John
Villforth) cleaned it up.  We, the Winchester Engineering and Analytical
Center (formerly the Northeastern Radiological Health Laboratory), did the
urine testing for the workers.  No health problem was observed.

Ed Baratta

edmond0033 at comcast.net