[ RadSafe ] ISS radiation exposure

Joseph Shonka jjshonka at shonka.com
Mon Oct 31 13:38:31 CDT 2011

I would like to know if the current and historical radiation exposure rates
on board the International Space Station are on the web somewhere.  I
believe that exposures to personnel are 0.1 to 0.2 Sv per 6 months
routinely, but am curious about the exposure rates during the recent
coronal mass ejection (CME) that produced northern lights visible in the
southern US (a rare occurrence).  I was told by a solar expert (Jan
Alvestad) that "The increased radiation levels were not because of the CME,
rather a minor M class proton flare at the northwest limb of the Sun. This
event occurred several hours after the event which produced the CME".
Any link to more information would be appreciated.

Joseph J. Shonka, Ph.D.
Shonka Research Associates, Inc.
5199 Sandlewood Court
Marietta, GA 30068

confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient of this
e-mail, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or
copying of this e-mail, and any attachments thereto, is strictly
notify Shonka Research Associates, Inc. at (770) 509-7606 and permanently
delete the original and any copy of any e-mail and any printout thereof.