[ RadSafe ] Tritium contamination

Scott Davidson bsdnuke at gmail.com
Mon Oct 31 10:26:21 CDT 2011

You seem to be on the right track.  Unless the material is porous or
has a particular affinity for tritium, then when it is dry, the
tritium will be gone.

Porous is on atomic/molecular level where tritium can permeate the
material.  This would be evident if wipes came up contaminated after
decontamination (weeping).  This was the classic "re-appearium" that
occurred on casks that were used in spent fuel pools and can occur
from many radionuclides.  The NRC has some old guidance on cask
weeping.

Materials with an affinity for tritium include some metals that form
hydrides and things with hydrogen in them.  Some metal hydrides will
be stable and not release their hydrogen (tritium) readily.  But if
the tritium concentration is high, some exchange will occur and be
well fixed.  Likewise for plastics or other polymers that might
exchgange a hydrogen for tritium.

There is a lot of information in chapter 5 of DOE Handbook 1129 a
portion a different section is shown as "19-26" but I am not sure how
much you want to make this a science project.