[ RadSafe ] Cesium in soil cleanup in Japan

Dan W McCarn hotgreenchile at gmail.com
Fri Sep 2 10:42:46 CDT 2011

Dear Group:

If memory serves, Ca+ is abated to a significant degree by adsorption onto
various clays, reducing bioavailability. As was described to me by a
radiochemist from Belarus, the Cs+ tends to become irreversibly adsorbed
into the clay lattice structure.  This is consistent with the ion-exchange
selectivity of monovalent ions. The degree of selectivity is as follows:

Cs+ > Rb+ > K+ > Na+ > Li+; Sposito (1989); Freeze & Cherry (1979)

Because of the dominantly volcanic nature of the Japanese Islands, I suspect
that montmorillonite will be the dominant clay present in soils.

See

http://www.epa.gov/radiation/docs/kdreport/vol1/402-r-99-004a.pdf

Dan ii

--