[ RadSafe ] Infinite Thickness of KCl

Rahim Ghanooni rahim.ghanooni at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 21:12:31 CDT 2011

Eric:

I used Microshield to calculate the dose rate.  Since I do not have enough
information I made the following assumptions.

I created a disk with 1 cm radius; consist of K-40, at density of 1.98 g/cc,
activity of 0.416 uCi/cc, and thickness of 1 cm, the dose rate was
calculated at distance of 5 cm from front center of the disk.

The calculation started at thickness of one cm, with buildup, and continues
adding to the thickness while the activity distribution kept constant (0.416
uCi/cc).

Rahim Ghanooni, CHMM

Shielding Engineer/ Health Physicist

Thickness of 1 cm exposure rate 3.27E-2 mr/hr

Thickness of 10 cm exposure rate 1.1E-1 mr/hr

Thickness of 15 cm exposure rate 1.18E-1 mr/hr

Thickness of 25 cm exposure rate 1.208E-1 mr/hr

Thickness of 30 cm exposure rate 1.22E-1 mr/hr

Thickness of 35 cm exposure rate 1.23E-1 mr/hr