[ RadSafe ] Disposal/Recycle Options for Smoke Detectors

Michael LaFontaine, P. Phys. physics at execulink.com
Thu Sep 22 15:12:03 CDT 2011

Shane, your first point of contact should be your local (municipal
and state) authorities. Some municipalities have established
recycling depots for smoke detectors. Provide the date of manufacture
re. the Am-241 model (t 1/2 = 4.33 years, so disposal may be fairly
straight forward and inexpensive). Ra-226 should NOT be directed to
any municipal waste site.

Regards,

Michael LaFontaine