[ RadSafe ] Disposal/Recycle Options for Smoke Detectors

tmobley.ahp at comcast.net tmobley.ahp at comcast.net
Thu Sep 22 17:39:52 CDT 2011

Hi Ed

I'm going to be in Golden next month
Ill let you know when
Todd

From: "Stroud, Ed" <Ed.Stroud at dphe.state.co.us>
Sender: radsafe-bounces at health.phys.iit.edu
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2011 21:03:27
To: The International Radiation Protection (Health Physics) Mailing	List<radsafe at health.phys.iit.edu>
Subject: Re: [ RadSafe ] Disposal/Recycle Options for Smoke Detectors

Hello Shane,
I looked up the device sheets for the smoke detectors you mentioned. The Pyrotronics DU-3 is exempt (SSD # NR-829-D-802-E). So, in Colorado and most states, you could dispose of it in ordinary trash just like any smoke detector you could buy at Wal-Mart. I haven't been able to find a device sheet for the Ademco - it must be very old. Perhaps someone else on Radsafe has come across one.

Ed Stroud, Compliance Lead
Radioactive Materials Unit
Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment