[ RadSafe ] LNT

Mon Sep 26 18:34:47 CDT 2011

Or if the US had used the Bat Bomb that was being developed in parallel
to that atomic bomb.

Still, both the Allies and the Axis managed to cause fire storms using
conventional weapons, including several that killed vast numbers of
people, but it didn't hold the same horror for people.

-----Original Message-----
From: radsafe-bounces at health.phys.iit.edu
[mailto:radsafe-bounces at health.phys.iit.edu] On Behalf Of Maury
Sent: Monday, September 26, 2011 3:52 PM
To: The International Radiation Protection (Health Physics) Mailing
List; Jerry Cohen
Subject: Re: [ RadSafe ] LNT

Appears to me that evidence favoring alternative(s) to LNT continues to
expand. It is noteworthy that many (most?, all?) significant science and

technology advances are enabled by significant improvements in
measurement capabilities; as we continue to see in health physics. It
seems also to me that radioactivity can be viewed increasingly as we
view other forms of stimulation which also are various kinds of
radiation, e.g., sound, rf, light, cosmic radiation; in short, simply
all aspects of the electromagnetic spectrum.

I wonder where we might have been over the last 50 years if San
Fransisco had been leveled by a giant sound bomb dropped by a Japanese
Mitsubishi G4M (Betty)  in 1943 or if the US had killed most 1945
residents of Tokyo by dropping a single giant light bomb. Silly
references, perhaps. But much more seriously, perhaps we might all be
far better off if ionizing radiation could be researched, used, and
treated as one more form of stimulation without all the emotional
baggage of atomic bombs and 'invisible killer rays'
Best,
Maury&Dog
=====================================
.
On 9/26/2011 4:50 PM, Brennan, Mike (DOH) wrote:
> That's where hormesis comes in: You may not be able to prove a
negative, but you can prove an anti (assuming it exists).

> Even the people who support LNT generally acknowledge that the closer
you get to zero, the less statistical support the theory has.  This is
because back in the day it was really, really hard to measure or
reconstruct low dose, there weren't a lot of exposed subjects, and
keeping track of everything on file cards was hard.  If nothing else,
Fukushima will produce a huge amount of data about people with a fair
gradient of exposure, who will be tracked and monitored for the
foreseeable future.  If I were betting, I would put money down on this
showing that LNT falls apart at low dose.

> To continue your analogy, it would be as if you could show that the
prayers of the members of one religion were routinely answered, but not
the prayers of anyone else.  You might not be able to demonstrate a
negative, but you might be able to show where a demonstrated positive
stops.