[ RadSafe ] LNT

Otto G. Raabe ograabe at ucdavis.edu
Thu Sep 29 11:09:03 CDT 2011

At 12:40 AM 9/28/2011, Chris Busby wrote:

>The problem is this question: what is the ionisation density at the
>target? This includes non targeted effects, then the ionisation
>density in the cell or cell community. It is clear from experiments
>with radiation but also other chemical stressors that the dose
>response in complex, and usually biphasic. As you say, there are
>different mechanisms at high dose rate than low dose rate. But the
>local ionisation density is usually orders of magnitude higher for
>internal than external irradiation and for second event emitters or
>sequences or cascades the cell may alter its repair state before a
>second or third hit. My own belief is that hormesis is an artifact
>arising from a misunderstanding of the position of the point 0,0.
>The current arguments (including the radsafe ones) are very simplistic.
>Chris

NONSENSE!  All studies are based on actual average radiation absorbed
dose to living tissues. This is a physical quantity whether the
source is internal or external.

Prof. Otto G. Raabe, Ph.D., CHP
Center for Health & the Environment
University of California
One Shields Avenue
Davis, CA 95616
E-Mail: ograabe at ucdavis.edu
Phone: (530) 752-7754   FAX: (530) 758-6140