[ RadSafe ] radiography incident -Unpardonable carelessness

Ted de Castro tdc at xrayted.com
Sun Apr 1 21:28:26 CDT 2012

I used the Double Edged Sword too, I even went through a considerable
effort to get a copy with permission to copy and distribute it as much
as I wanted - HOWEVER since I greatly distrust the reliability of
administrative safety measures such as training - I also failsafe
interlock enclosed and added alarming area monitors to all 25 of our
analytical x-ray machines.  THAT not only put an end to accidents for
the past nearly 20 years!!!!  But also in that period there has not been
a "near miss" either.  THAT sure beats the "1 incident per 100 unit
years" that was at one time considered the accepted probability of
occurrence.  FURTHERMORE - never forget that legally x-ray machines come
under the "Ultra Hazardous Equipment" provision of the law   - a
provision dating back to common law - and that means that NO MATTER WHAT
safety provisions are in place --- if there is an accident - the
employer IS liable.  Therefore I preferred SOLID protection to protect
my employer!

I also find the pressures of research and deadlines vs depending on
training for safety are essentially a built in conflict of interest.
Just read the history of x-ray accidents and this will become
immediately obvious.

 From another perspective - I consider a x-ray burn a way way too high a
price to pay for a momentary omission of what was taught in training -
regardless if the reason was haste, carelessness or and honest error.

I am SURE that more hardware measures can be employed in the radiography
industry.  History has proven that the current state of the art isn't
working.

I'd say that I was lucky to have an employer that supported my hardware
control efforts - HOWEVER - if it weren't for a very serious x-ray
accident - things never would have changed.  And of course - now that I
am retired ---- I don't have to fight the constant fight to keep it all
in place.