[ RadSafe ] Unpardonable carelessness regulatory control of Analytical x-ray units

parthasarathy k s ksparth at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Apr 2 12:00:12 CDT 2012

Dear William Lipton,

I was told that in a particular  instance of injury to the hands of postdoctoral student, a US University and a manufacturer of an analytical x-ray unit were forced to pay an astronomical sum as compensation to the victim.

Do you have either in your collection or elsewhere the case histories of such incidents? Even when the commercially available equipment has all the built in safety features, research scholars in their anxiety to speed up the experiment modify these features leading to disastrous consequences.

Because of the built-in safety features analytical x-ray equipment is considered as an intrinsically safe radiation equipment. According to the Atomic Energy (Radiation Protection) Rules 2004 analytical x-ray equipment requires a registration.

How is it controlled in the USA? What are the regulatory requirements? Do you offer any special training to research scholars and other scientists handling them? Do they require a formal accreditation to handle the equipment?

Regards
Parthasarathy