[ RadSafe ] Blogger with radiation measurement device claims Los Angeles gets radioactive rain

Stewart Farber SAFarber at optonline.net
Fri Apr 6 11:27:37 CDT 2012

A bit of technical info is provided below for the anti-nuclear activists who we know are trolling radsafe to improve their understanding of radiation matters :-)  :

When I first saw the note below posted by Roger Helbig about an increase of radioactivity recently reported in precipitation in LA, I immediately thought of the variation in Be-7 which comes to earth mainly in the Spring via exchange from the stratosphere to the troposphere. Be-7 levels in the lower atmosphere can easily vary by a factor of 2x to 10x from late spring and summer, from winter levels. The main mode of Be-7 leaving the lower atmosphere is precipitation vs. dry deposition. A google search, and 20 seconds, yielded the following about Be-7 [ Beryllium-7 ]. [See reference below, by Sugihara]

We don't know how this "anti-nuclear" activist measured the claimed increase in radioactivity in precipitation, and I doubt they were capable of doing proper gamma isotopic analyses to distinguish between Be-7 and potentially other gamma activity in  precipitation. It is most likely that they were doing gross gamma measurements, at best.  Be-7 decays by pure electron capture and can only be detected through the 0.477 MeV  gamma-ray emitted - 12% of the time). We know there have been some unusual levels of cosmic ray acitivity recently which would have caused significant increases in Be-7 in the stratosphere. Now, with the turnover of the atmosphere in spring to summer, this increased level of Be-7 will be seen at ground level since precipitation is the main way Be-7 aerosols leave the lower atmosphere. Be-7 particulates are often seen, as the only gamma activity,  in gamma analyses of air filters now that there is no activity in surface air from other nuclear activities.

SEE:

Variation of Atmospheric 7Be and 210Pb Depositions at Fukuoka, Japan,
Sugihara, et. Al.

http://www.irpa.net/irpa10/cdrom/00822.pdf

FROM THE ABOVE: Beryllium-7 (half-life 53.29 d) is one of the radionuclide produced by spallation reactions of cosmic
rays with light atmospheric nuclei, such as carbon, nitrogen and oxygen. Approximately 70% of 7Be produced in
the stratosphere, with the remaining 30% produced in the troposphere. A residence time is estimated about a year
in the stratosphere, and about six weeks in the troposphere. Most of the 7Be that are produced in the stratosphere
don’t reach the troposphere except during spring when seasonal thinning of the tropopause takes place at
midlatitudes, resulting in air exchange between stratosphere and troposphere. 7Be rapidly associates primarily
with submicron-sized aerosol particles. Gravitational settling and precipitation processes largely accomplish
transfer to the earth’s surface. 7Be associated with aerosol particles is an ideal tool with which to study
atmospheric transport processes.

Stewart Farber, MSPH
Farber Medical Solutions, LLC
Bridgeport, CT 06604