[ RadSafe ] More on San Onofre

Steven Dapra sjd at swcp.com
Sat Apr 7 20:34:01 CDT 2012

Apr. 7

http://news.yahoo.com/no-timetable-restarting-california-nuclear-plant-jaczko-030835700.html

	A quote from the article:

Anti-nuclear activists living near San Onofre have seized on the
disaster [Fukushima] to argue that nuclear plants are unsafe.

"We saw what happened in Japan and we're terrified that it could
happen right here in Southern California," said Patti Davis, a member
of the local community groups San Clemente Green and San Onofre Safety.

Concerned residents in the area around the plant have bought Geiger
counters that plug into smartphones and iPads to monitor for any
potential radiation emissions from the plant.

Former nuclear executive Arnie Gundersen of Fairewinds Associates, a
consulting company, prepared a report released last month that argued
that design modifications in the newly installed steam generators,
such as different alloy for the tubes, led to problems at the plant.

	Yeah, tsunamis happen all the time in southern California.  I would
be terrified too.

	Does anyone know what the story is on these Geiger counters that
plug into smartphones and iPads?  (I don't so much as know what a
smartphone is, nor an iPad.)

	Arnie Gundersen seems to be replacing David Lochbaum as the
convenient expert scaremonger.  His entry on Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arnold_Gundersen

Steven Dapra