[ RadSafe ] More on San Onofre

JPreisig at aol.com JPreisig at aol.com
Sat Apr 7 21:55:09 CDT 2012

Hmmmmm,

      The earthquake in Japan was quite large (9.0  or whatever) and the
earthquake zone was
very close in proximity to Japan's coastline, thus creating the problems
that happened.

      The faults near San Onofre are land based,  would not create a
tsunami, and the earthquake
magnitudes might or might not approach 9.0 in magnitude.  A southern
California (or northern
California) earthquake would make some pretty nasty surface waves
(Rayleigh waves, Love waves etc.)
and give a nuclear plant a good shaking.  But, I doubt it would  produce a
20 to 40 foot wall of
Ocean water.

      Right now, I'd be more concerned about a  very large earthquake
occuring off the
coast of Seattle, Washington (USA) and any produced tsunami that would
reach Seattle.
A look at the bay around Seattle (Puget Sound) might give you some idea of
why people are
concerned about such an event.  Are there any nuclear power plants in  the
vicinity of Seattle or
Puget Sound????  Again, the earthquake zone would be pretty close to  the
city of Seattle.

     San Onofre will probably fix their problems and go  back online fairly
quickly.  Why all the hubbub???

     Regards,   Joseph R. (Joe) Preisig,  PhD

In a message dated 4/7/2012 9:34:51 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,