[ RadSafe ] SCBA and beta dose connection?

charlemw m.w.charles at bham.ac.uk
Fri Apr 13 06:46:41 CDT 2012

Beta burns were indeed a major contributor to early deaths and to late
occurring cataracts in liquidators. The main contributors were Cs-137 and
Sr/Y-90. These beta energies penetrated normal clothing, aided by wet
conditions. Aluminised mylar (by which I presume you mean thin films) would
obviously provide totally inadequate shielding. I attach a paper I produced
for a NATO conference on radiation induced cataract associated with
Chernobyl. Figure 2 gives depth doses measured at Chernobyl Unit 3 by Dmitri
Osanov - a Russian dosimetrist who was himself a liquidator.

Monty Charles