[ RadSafe ] SCBA and beta dose connection?

Ferguson, Dennis denferguso at pa.gov
Fri Apr 13 09:45:58 CDT 2012

John, et. al.,

While I never met Mr. Dubiel at TMI (arrived there too late), he brings up a very good point. We had "Red Tag Key" (High Beta) areas in Unit 2 where we occasionally used DOUBLE respirator lenses (one clipped with springs on the outside of the respirator). Strontium/yttrium betas tended to blast through a lot of PCs (we also wore Fireman's Boots, Bunker Pants, Bunker Coats, Lineman's Gloves and double herculite hoods over our PCs in those areas... a wee bit warm! Talk about heat stress...)

We had a table similar to what Mr. Perle describes set up for Sr/Y fields we used when writing out RWPS. We had a table of the various PC materials (mg/cm2) and could figure an attenuation factor on a graph. I have a copy somewhere amongst my piles of documents. If you're working around fission products or the like, it might be good to consider generating one for your techs.

Dennis E. Ferguson | Program Supervisor
Dept of Environmental Protection - Radiation Protection
Southcentral Regional Office
909 Elmerton Avenue, Harrisburg, PA  17110-8200
Phone: 717.705.4891   |   Fax: 717.705.4890 | denferguso at pa.gov
www.dep.state.pa.us/brp