[ RadSafe ] Global Stuff

Karen Street Karen_Street at sbcglobal.net
Wed Apr 25 00:05:42 CDT 2012

Oops! that web site, sponsored by Heartland Institute, says that climate change is all wrong. Climate depot provides boucoup evidence from that other method of doing science (skip peer review and appeal directly to the public).

Has anyone else read Jonathan Haidt's excellent The Righteous Mind? Apparently the use of exploratory reasoning (look at the issues and try to understand them) isn't very common. Much more common, much, much more, is confirmatory reasoning: have a gut reaction in a fraction of a second, and then use your reasoning to confirm that your initial reaction is correct. That makes science hard, because Nature often produces different rules than the gut.

So science is hard. Finding web sites that agree with the gut, not so much.