[ RadSafe ] Dosimetry records

Kenneth Marshall kenneth.marshall at carestream.com
Thu Apr 19 06:19:37 CDT 2012

We eliminated Social Security Number ID altogether as well as any
documented Date Of Birth for dosiemtry records (for over 5 years now).  We
use a unique employee ID#.

With State Agencies, FDA GMP and other agency  audits, this has been
routinely questioned if it is a "medical record" and we counter with that
it is occupational monitoring (e.g. Industrial Hygiene) an would be the
same as record of agents of exposure in the workplace (chemicals, noise,
etc) and this has usually left auditors satisfied.  Ask if your employer
also considers noise studies with dosimeters "medical records".

With the electronic statements on Instadose, we don't post reports on the
wall - Employees login with their own secure ID and see only their data.
This helps immensely - If its not on the wall - its not subject to as much
audit scrutiny.

If the dosiemtry manager sees elevated employee dose values, we follow-up
with a standard form asking the employee to offer up reasons for the
elevated exposure -  that may be "not occupational" its completely
voluntary, but I have yet to have anyone refuse.

-Ken

Kenneth Marshall
Carestream Health
Corporate Radiation & Laser Safety Officer