[ RadSafe ] Future of Nuclear Power

JPreisig at aol.com JPreisig at aol.com
Fri Aug 3 15:56:07 CDT 2012

Dear Radsafe:

     From:    _jpreisig at aol.com_ (mailto:jpreisig at aol.com)       .

     Hey All,

          Hope you are  well.  20 years from now, when some of the USA and
other reactors will  be
going offline (finally???), what will they be replaced by.???  A new
reactor of more advanced
design.???  Will the current reactors be extended another 20 years  beyond
the next 20 years???

          Maybe the new  smaller modular reactors (in some number greater
than one at a current  reactor
location) will replace some of the old reactors????

          There is no very  good reason now why nuclear reactors cannot be
used to give the USA, and
elsewhere, a higher percentage of total power for the future.  We may  be
more dependent on electric
cars by then.

          Sure, natural gas  and coal will still be around.  What to do
with all that coal slag  and
the products of combustion.???

          I don't think team  Obama or Mitt Romney will go forward with
Yucca Mountain.  We'll see  what
actually happens.

         As an aside, Cancer  is being treated by surgery, gammaknives,
radiation treatments and/or
new and improved chemotherapy.  One key to curing cancer is early
detection.  People getting
cancer will simply (or not so simply) have surgery, followed by some office
 visits for radiation
and/or chemotherapy.  This is all not a very simple thing, but  the whole
process may become more
viable and less expensive/time consuming that it has been.  I expect
considerable Cancer research
funding will continue for the next 20 years so.  That being said,  Cancer
research findings of
considerable importance are coming pretty quickly now.  I guess  pancreatic
cancer is still a bit tough
to deal with.  Dr. Sally Ride passed on from pancreatic cancer the  other
day.

       What lies up ahead looks pretty  promising....

       Regards,      Joseph R. (Joe) Preisig, PhD