[ RadSafe ] Small Metallic CRAM Labels??

Chris Alston achris1999 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 8 12:21:25 CDT 2012

Greetings, Folks

Can anyone tell me of a vendor for metallic labels, or perhaps thin
plaques. which we could use to mark a curved, stainless steel, surface
(instrument housing), fairly permanently?  The surface gets hot enough
(>/= 150 C) to fry ordinary paper and plastic labels.  The x/y
dimensions should be not more than ~ 2 cm / 5-7 cm, with thickness of
maybe a millimeter.  I think that it should not be hugely difficult to
find an appropriate adhesive (they sell aerospace glues at the Home
Depot, I'll warrant), so if it is just a piece of metal that's ok.  If
it is a plaque, we can get our instrument-maker to bend it to the
correct curvature.

P.S.  Someone remind me, please, of vendors for thoriated lantern
mantles, e.g., Sears, an outdoor store, etc., or perhaps a brandname
of such mantles.  I think that someone observed, once, that mantles of
Th were made in India.  I recently saw mantles (Texsport Item No.
14210), which claimed Th-nitrates as the primary ingredient, and had
all sorts of safety warnings as copy on the packets (evidently largely
to comply with California law), but they are not radio-active.

TIA and


More information about the RadSafe mailing list