[ RadSafe ] Boy Scouts nuclear science merit badge

David Gilson dggilson at radioactivesolutionsgroup.com
Wed Dec 5 08:32:56 CST 2012

Cliff,

My experience with this is that the boys who choose to go after this merit
badge will understand as long as you don't get too technical. If you stick
fairly close to the guidance in the merit badge book and you don't get off
track and tried to get too technical (which I did the first time through)
you shouldn't have any problems. I was pleasantly surprised by the knowledge
and perseverance and desire to learn of all the boys that I counseled on
this merit badge. Well, not all, but the ones who have no desire are the
ones who quickly figure out that they don't want that merit badge after all.

Several times they set up classes where I gave an overview of the
requirements for the merit badge directly from the book and that gave most
of the boys a chance to determine whether or not they wanted to go after it.
As I taught the class it was easy to see who had interest and who didn't and
so you can weed them out fairly quickly. Again, my first time through, I
went overboard and got a little too technical and I had NO takers on that
first time through. The 2nd time I kept it really general and generic and I
had four boys who went all the way through it got the merit badge. Once your
area Scout office understands that they have a merit badge counselor
qualified on this merit badge they will be sending you boys from other
troops and will probably be asking you to counsel on other technical merit
badges as well.

Good luck, if you like working with the scouts I think you'll have a lot of
fun.

David Gilson

President
Radioactive Solutions Group

Orem, UT 84097
email: dggilson at radioactivesolutionsgroup.com

The information contained in this message is intended only for the personal
and confidential use of the recipient(s) named above. If the reader of this
message is not the intended recipient or an agent responsible for delivering
it to the intended recipient, are hereby notified that you have received
this document in error and that any review, dissemination, distribution, or
copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this
communication in error, please notify us immediately, and delete the