[ RadSafe ] Brains, Bioengineering, Etc.

Thu Dec 20 17:52:25 CST 2012

Hi, Joseph.

"Retarded" isn't used much anymore, not merely for Political Correctness
reasons (though that is part of it), but also because it isn't very
useful.  Back when it was used a lot of very different conditions got
lumped into one word, and all treated pretty much the same, which was
usually warehousing.  It is now realized that there are many causes
(trauma, genetic, prenatal conditions, abuse, chemical imbalances,
allergies, and others), and that the best treatment is at least as
varied.

Still, your underlying question is valid.  I believe we are at the very
beginning of new age, where the electronic/designed biologic replacement
and repair parts have a profound effect on society.  I believe it is
only a matter of time before direct I/O between electronics and the
brain passes such work-arounds as keyboards monitors.  At some point at
least some brain/mental issues will be addressable with technology.  I
predict there will be people who hold very different positions, all the
way from "it is not moral to use implants to change the way a person
thinks, even if they want it" to "It is not moral to withhold this
technology form anyone whose life it will improve."

I've even done some work on a science fiction story, in which the main
character, who suffers from a degenerative condition, has been living
more and more in virtual reality, and storing memories and personality
traits "off-board" as his brain deteriorates.  The tension of the story
comes when his body dies, but what remains of him in his brain
prosthetics wants to continue on, using the identity he had when his
body was alive. And things happen.

In any event, an interesting topic, but definitely non-rad.