[ RadSafe ] Radioactive contaminationunearthedatformerrockettest site n...

Jerry Cohen jjcohen at prodigy.net
Mon Dec 31 18:05:56 CST 2012

Mike,
    Thanks for your interesting discussion on the nuclear ramjet. As I
recall, it's mission
would have been to fly over enemy territory at an altitude of ~500 ft.
imparting a
fatal radiation dose to the people below. It would have been a truly nasty
weapon.
    As you mentioned, retrieving the reactor following its use would have
posed a
tricky problem. I think the best approach considered was to crash it into
the deep ocean.
Of coarse, multiple usage would have been out of the question
In retrospect, perhaps it was best to scrub the project-- although  it posed
some
interesting technological challenges.

Jerry Cohen