No subject

Sat Dec 15 14:04:01 CST 2012

albitization is common in parts of Sardinia. Albitization causes the
mobilization of rare-earths, thorium & uranium and other rock-forming
elements and trace elements which are subsequently remineralized and in
some cases form economic ore bodies. Albitization is the replacement of
Ca-feldspar with Na-feldspar  (CaAl2Si2O8 + 4SiO2 + 2Na+ =E2=86=92 2NaAlSi3=
O8 + Ca2+;
anorthite + quartz + sodium (in aqueous solution) =E2=86=92 albite + calciu=
m (in
aqueous solution) during which other rock components (REE, U, Th) are
mobilized. If the volume of rock undergoing albitization is large, then the
potential for the resulting solutions to form deposits (REE, U, Th) is also
high.

A metasomatic process is the mass replacement of one mineral with another
in a rock. Albitization is a common form of metasomatism.

I think this is cherry picking... Thorium is commonly associated with
rare-earths; Cerium being the most abundant REE. Because of the geology, I
suspect that everyone in that particular region of Sardinia may, in fact,
have elevated body burdens of Cerium / Thorium due, in large part, to the
natural environment. So, picking "cancer victims" to describe body burdens
of Ce & Th is probably not statistically sound.  That said, technologically
elevated concentrations from previous mining may be present near abandoned
mines.

Rare-earths in Sardinia:

Daniela Medas, Rosa Cidu, Giovanni De Giudici, Francesca Podda
(2013), Rare-earth mining in Sardinia:Geochemistry of rare earth elements
in water and solid materials at abandoned mines in SW Sardinia
(Italy), Journal of Geochemical Exploration, Volume 133, October 2013,
Pages 149=E2=80=93159
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0375674213001131

G. CARCANGIU, M. PALOMBA AND M. TAMANIN (1997), REE-bearing minerals in the
albitites of central Sardina, Italy,  Mineralogical Magazine, April 1997,
Vol. 61, pp. 271-283
http://www.minersoc.org/pages/Archive-MM/Volume_61/61-405-271.pdf

MARCELLA PALOMBA (2001), Geological, mineralogical, geochemical features
and genesis of the albitite deposits of Central Sardinia (Italy)
http://unica2.unica.it/~preside/fileadmin/Documenti_ricerca/Documenti_rendi=
conti/Volumi/Volume71/04_Palomba.pdf

Dan ii

Dan W McCarn, Geologist
108 Sherwood Blvd
Los Alamos, NM 87544-3425
+1-505-672-2014 (Home =E2=80=93 New Mexico)
+1-505-670-8123 (Mobile - New Mexico)
HotGreenChile at gmail.com (Private email) HotGreenChile at gmail dot com

On Mon, Oct 28, 2013 at 12:08 PM, Miller, Mark L <mmiller at sandia.gov> wrote=
: