[ RadSafe ] Thorium Fueled Reactors

George Stanford gstanford at aya.yale.edu
Wed Feb 8 19:34:36 CST 2012

Jake:

      The thorium cycle does not eliminate proliferation concerns,
for two reasons.

      First, any (uninspected) reactor can be adapted to irradiate
U238 to make weapons-quality Pu239.

      Second, it is fairly straightforward to extract pure U233 (an
excellent bomb material) from a thorium reactor by chemical
separation of Pa233 (the U233 precursor).  Sometimes it's argued that
removing Pa233 would deprive the reactor of needed fissile
material.  However, that deficit can be made up by substituting
poor-quality Pu from LWR fuel, or by using uranium that is partly
enriched.  Thus a thorium reactor can be used as a device for
converting lousy (for weapons) Pu or U into high-quality U233.

      Thorium reactors will need the same sort of safeguards as
uranium-fueled reactors.

      For other aspects of thorium versus uranium, you might find it
helpful to read the discussion that can be found at <
http://snipurl.com/2146n0e >.

      --  George Stanford
      Reactor physicist