[ RadSafe ] Biogeochemistry

Jerry Cohen jjc105 at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 17 19:09:50 CST 2012

Perhaps my view of biogeochemistry is a bit too narrow. I had pictured it as a 
science dealing with the health effect(s) of geological/mineral formations on 
the health of nearby populations. Years ago, before mass transportation, the 
food we consumed was mostly raised within a few hundred miles of where we lived 
so that our mineral intake was largely a function of geography--- kind of like 
the NRC/EPA assumption of people  spending their entire lives living adjacent to 
nuclear facilities. Best regards,

From: "JPreisig at aol.com" <JPreisig at aol.com>
To: radsafe at health.phys.iit.edu
Sent: Fri, February 17, 2012 1:01:32 PM
Subject: Re: [ RadSafe ] Biogeochemistry

Dear Radsafe:

      From:    _jpreisig at aol.com_ (mailto:jpreisig at aol.com)    .

      Hey All,

               I guess geochemistry is relevant to this list with respect 
to transport of  radionuclides
  in the environment.

        As far as biogeochemistry goes,  the following 
geological/geophysical organizations might
have journals in biogeochemistry and sessions at their annual meetings  
about bigeochemistry.

      American Geophysical Union (a professional  society)

      Geological Society of America

      American Chemical Society????

      A  $20.00 membership fee in the AGU  (American Geophysical Union) 
allows you to 
receive Physics Today (no additional charge), the newsletter EOS  
(Transactions of the

American Geophysical Union) (no additional charge)...EOS sometimes has want 
ads/job ads
for jobs in geochemistry, hydrogeology, biogeochemistry???, geophysics,  
space physics etc.

      For most research grant applications in the  USA, the applicant 
usually needs a PhD.
ACS or other research sponsors may have programs for student or non-PhD  
applicants???? seeking
research money????  I don't really know.  Corporations and Grant  
Foundations (Private) do sometimes
fund research.

      Binghamton University (State University of  New York) Geological 
Sciences Department has
ongoing research in geochemistry (2-3 professors) and hydrogeology (1  
professor).  They offer MA and PhD
degrees and have assistantship support.  They are in the habit now of  
offering a PhD in which
one combines a number of your research publications together, writes the  
rest of the PhD around 
these papers, and then one defends the PhD.  Of course, there is a PhD  
exam qualification
process.  Syracuse University and many other geology departments in  the 
USA have
interests in radionuclide work (U dating, C dating, hydrogeology  etc.).  
Other universities
(Yale, UPenn, Arizona, Purdue, Rochester??? etc.) do  Accelerator Mass  
Spectrometry or
Tandem Accelerator Mass Spectrometry in their physics departments (C  
dating???, Be dating etc.)

     This is just information for those  interested.  This months Physics 
Today has an obituary for
Norman Ramsey (a physicist) who is in some way responsible for suggesting  
the idea for the
hydrogen maser, a time and frequency standard.  It makes Very Long  
Interferometry (VLBI) possible.  VLBI is an astronomical high  tech 
technique (a bit similar to
GPS) which measures distances very well (say from New York City to Los  
Angeles with a 
few centimeter precision) and is also capable of making radio frequency  
maps of Quasars in space.
Ramsey was quite a physicist.

     Have a good weekend!!!!     Regards,   Joseph R. (Joe) Preisig, PhD

You are currently subscribed to the RadSafe mailing list

Before posting a message to RadSafe be sure to have read and understood the 
RadSafe rules. These can be found at: 

For information on how to subscribe or unsubscribe and other settings visit: 

More information about the RadSafe mailing list