[ RadSafe ] True of False

Dan McCarn hotgreenchile at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 22:56:25 CST 2012

As a geologist, I am not the most literate, but here are my impressions of
a few accidents:

And yes, I visited the A-1 and worked just north of the Chernobyl Power
plant.

Brown's Ferry - Fire burning control wiring bundle to reactor. NRC
implemented safety systems to prevent this type of potential failure. March
22, 1975

TMI - Caused by accidental operator error.  Since then, significant
improvements have been made to design of reactor controls as well as
training to  make the controls and systems easier to understand and
operate.  March 28, 1979 rated INES-5

A-1 reactor (Slovakia) - partial meltdown of a new fuel bundle caused by
failure to remove silica gel packing in CO2 gas cooling tube.  February 22,
1977 rated INES<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Nuclear_Event_Scale>
-4

Chernobyl - Intentional operator error in order to run a low-power test.
Totally avoidable. The engineer did not have a good understanding of the
reactor characteristics (excess reactivity & poisoning) following shutdown
after a high-power run. April 26, 1986 rated INES-7

Fukushima - The reactors completely survived the earthquake and were
immediately shut-down. After the diesels failed, battery backup cut-in and
was able to cool the cores until they were exhausted. Flooding and failure
of back-up diesel power systems could have been avoided by
placing separate power systems in different locations so that they would
not fail due to a common-cause event. March 11, 2011 rated INES-7

My opinion only...

Dan ii