[ RadSafe ] Don't go swimming in the Pac. ocean

Wed Feb 22 13:12:46 CST 2012

Hi, Chris.

I imagine that it is then something of a challenge to explain to them
that there isn't any point in NOT drinking the orange juice, as the kids
will have the same amount of K40 in them either way.

-----Original Message-----
From: radsafe-bounces at health.phys.iit.edu
[mailto:radsafe-bounces at health.phys.iit.edu] On Behalf Of Chris Alston
Sent: Wednesday, February 22, 2012 10:12 AM
To: The International Radiation Protection (Health Physics) Mailing List
Subject: Re: [ RadSafe ] Don't go swimming in the Pac. ocean

Mike

I second that emotion.  I have been using natural potassium-40 as a
reference point to put these issues in perspective for along time.  I
mean, the elemental spA of K-40 is nominally 850 pCi/gm.  It rarely
fails to impress, e.g., women, when one explains to them that the
orange juice they give to their kids is naturally radioactive enough
that it can be used as a reference source to energy-calibrate
instruments (gamma spec).

Cheers
cja