[ RadSafe ] Radioactivity in Granite Countertops

Stewart Farber SAFarber at optonline.net
Mon Feb 27 15:11:30 CST 2012

Hi Dan,

Thanks very much for your information.

The "granite" counters my friend purchased, while attractive, do not have
the small grained inclusions that I associate with the granite I've seen
used in construction of buildings, building facing, steps, tombstones, etc.
When I could not get an elevated count rate, even with a thin-window pancake
GM on contact with the "granite" counters in question,  I became suspicious
that she was supplied something other than  "granite". To my mind, if a
retail outlet advertises their product as "granite" and charges a premium
rate for it per ft^2 [or m^2 or whatever metric unit some want used] the
buyer has paid for something they did not get.

True granite to me has certain specific properties which would not be seen
in marble, or other types of dimension stone you mention. Your reference to:
the Colorado School of Mines Rock Classification Scheme - "CLASSIFICATION OF
ROCKS" definition as to what is true "granite" is interesting.  If a stone
does not meet the classification of "true granite", has a buyer paid for and
not received a stone counter which has properties as to durability,
hardness,  etc. that are not up to what it should have been?

Stewart Farber

Stewart Farber, MSPH

Farber Medical Solutions, LLC

Bridgeport, CT 06604