[ RadSafe ] FDA approval of bioassay methods

Kenneth Marshall kenneth.marshall at carestream.com
Wed Feb 29 05:55:49 CST 2012

Clayton - Thanks for your comment - I'm still looking for some lines of
definitions.

For example some are developing EPR and other tools  for rapid screening
of population following an emergency event.  If I understand correctly,
such devices should be manufactured and employed as a "medical device" as
they screena patient for possible treatment - even screening would be a
medical device.  Clearly when you manufacture to such standards there is a
different & significant cost structure and changes a buisness case
significantly, so I am very interested to learn where the line gets drawn.

Intersting enough, I cannot find, any previously submitted FDA 510Ks or
medical device applications for biodosimetry devices, methods,
apparatuses, equipment etc. which leads me to believe it hasn't been
routinely done.

If someone develops a device to rapidly screen an exfoliated or excreted
tissue and measure it for the presence of radiation for health related
concerns & possible (yes possible - meaning screening for elimination of
treatment)  - it would seemingly be a medical device(s) and need to meet
FDA approvals - Unless someone can tell me exactly otherwise how it isn't.

Thanks for any thoughts & info you can provide.

Ken Marshall
Radiation Safety Officer
Carestream Health
Rochester, NY 14615