[ RadSafe ] Chemoluminescence in Urine by pharmaceuticals

Mike Quastel maay100 at bgu.ac.il
Wed Jan 11 16:28:04 CST 2012

Urinary chemoluminescence could interfere with tritium measurements
if you're dealing with trace levels. See the following examples:
G. ALAN ROSE  Studies on the Chemical Nature of Urinary
Chemiluminescence. British Journal of Urology Volume 48, 61–71,1976
2.	Urinary chemoluminescence is known to be present with renal and
urinary infection, probably from neutrophils.

3.	Urinary chemoluminescence is also elevated in smokers. <http://

Gisler GC, Diaz J, Durán N. Electronically excited species in the
spontaneous chemiluminescence of urine and its uses in the detection
of pathological conditions.Physiol Chem Phys. 1982;14(4):335-42.