[ RadSafe ] A real and severe accident

franz.schoenhofer at chello.at franz.schoenhofer at chello.at
Fri Jan 20 15:00:33 CST 2012

Mattias and all RADSAFERs interested in this topic,

I am aware of a lot of really severe accidents, many resulting not only in amputations but death. As far as I remember there is a compilation at the IAEA website, I know for sure that there are reports on many accidents available at the IAEA. Jose Rozental has reported about the Goiana accident extensively on RADSAFE.

Recently I got to know during a meeting at the Austrian Standardisation Institute that there had happened some accidents with radiography in Austria - I expressed my "surprise", that such really dangerous incidents never make it to the public, but - to use my pointed expression - when a hammer falls onto the foot of a worker in any nuclear power plant in Slovakia or the Czech Republic this gets wide attention and is reported as a severe nuclear accident, which might have caused a very severe accident, if not a nuclear melt-down and world wide contamination.

Irony off....

Best regards,

Franz