[ RadSafe ] Radioactive coal to Kyrgyzstan transferred to criminal court

Miller, Mark L mmiller at sandia.gov
Fri Jan 27 12:25:54 CST 2012

As a matter of fact, to add to what Dan said, there were 2 UMTRA (Uranium Mill Tailings Remedial Action) sites in Bellfield & Bowman, SD, where the U content of the coal was high enough that they simply burned the coal (back in the 50s) to recover the ash and ship it to the Rifle, CO U mill site for U recovery for the U.S. nuclear weapons program.