[ RadSafe ] Claim that Film exposes “regulatory capture” of USA’s NRC by ...

JPreisig at aol.com JPreisig at aol.com
Fri Jan 27 17:00:13 CST 2012

Dear Mr. Helbig,

      Thanks for your post to radsafe.

      Brookhaven Labs Tritium problem was from a  fuel storage pool near/in
the BNL HFBR --- the
High Flux Beam Reactor.  I doubt the Brookhaven Medical Research  Reactor
was too big a part of the problem.  Wonder where the town in the  film was
located with respect to BNL???  Did the town draw
its water from water wells near BNL or was there water from a surface water
 source???  I'm sure
there are EPA Hazwaste etc. sites near the Lab.  The 2 productive  reactors
at BNL were closed
because of this tritium problem.  The Hollywood Types in the Long  Island
Hamptons were probably
quite pleased with this outcome.  Shoreham Nuclear Facility (which  never
opened) is not far from BNL.
I suspect people pay dearly for their electric energy there now.  That
part of Long Island is
fairly rural with nice ocean beaches nearby.

      One of my former colleagues at BNL once told  me that the great white
shark from the Jaws
movie was actually caught by a fisherman fishing at the East end of Long
Island (from the ocean
shore).  Shoreline fishing doesn't get more exciting than  that!!!!  Wonder
if it was a serious
Fish Story (untrue????)???

     So, the BNL HFBR and BMRR closed because  of a fairly trivial Tritium
problem.  Nuclear Engineers and
others lost their jobs.  BNL still has RHIC, NSLS, NSLS II, AGS, etc.  to
make life interesting.  It is
a physicist's playground.  I'm sure RHIC is important, but it is no  CERN
Large Hadron
Collider.  Guess the USA's next high energy particle physics facility  will
be an electron collider...

     The tritium problem is being remediated in various  ways.  Persons
living south of BNL no longer
draw their drinking water from their home water wells.  Cancer there  ---
elevated levels???
I wonder how true this is

      Smith Point Beach was quite nice before the  big plane crash happened
there.  I don't think I went back to the beach  there after that event.
Smith Point is just south of BNL.  I was  leaving the AGS and the
lab that night after a good night of neutron spectrometry.  I heard  the
news on my radio as I was driving
home.  It was all quite sad.  There were reports of people in  rowboats and
small boats trying to help the plane crash victims.  There was  no hope ---
no one survived the crash, right????  For a while after  that
people were finding body parts on the beach.  The local Medical  Examiner
and his helpers were
quite overwhelmed with their task.

      Hope you all have a good weekend!!!!

     Regards,   Joseph R. (Joe) Preisig,  PhD

.

In a message dated 1/27/2012 8:21:48 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,