[ RadSafe ] Half-life nonsense

Jerry Cohen jjc105 at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 14 15:09:01 CDT 2012

Lets see if I understand this correcly---If it is man-made, it is bad (ie.
hazardous)
but naturally occuring is OK. Right???
By that standard, aspirin is a poison, and hemlock is OK

At the HPS meeting in 1980, I gave a paper intended to address the longevity
nonsense by proposing a change in definition. We proposed that:

Radionuclides with a half-life less than one million years be considered
radioactive,

Radionuclides with a half-lifes between one million and one trillion years are
radiopassive,and

Those with half lives greater than a trillion years (eg. I-129) are
radioquiescent (ie. stable elements)

Somehow, the idea never caught on.