[ RadSafe ] Lichen: was: RE: More Nuclear-News Hype High radiation level at Fukushima school, even after 'decontamination'

Stewart Farber SAFarber at optonline.net
Sun Jul 15 12:45:32 CDT 2012

During the 1970s I’m familiar with many situations where nuclear plant
workers who were hunters showed unexpected measurable elevated Cs-137 which
confused interpreting WBC and the source of contamination.  The source was
often the hunter eating deer. The deer, in the absence of normal browse
[which can have elevated Cs based on soil to plant],  eat anything they can
find in the winter like lichen or stripping tree park.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, lichen can concentrate fallout
nuclides, but also a deer can injest Cs-137 from eating not just leaves but
tree bark. which concentrates minerals.  I have observed deer stripping bark
off trees during the winter in the yard of a home I visted many times over
20 years, when there are no tree leaves or other plant browse.

Trees try to hold onto their K [ + Cs unwittingly] when they drop their
leaves in fall, and otherwise lose their K. Minerals like K [and Cs with it]
are stored in the roots and saved in the bark and resorbed to a certain
degree when the tree blooms in spring.

Bottom line:

[ Fallout concentrates in lichen and bark + in plant based on soil
deposition initially ] è deer concentrate Cs when eating certain foods => to
man when deer meat is consumed, leading to elevated Cs-137.

So hunting and eating deer [and other animals like moose, or  squirrels – no
joke some people do hunt and eat the little rodents] can lead to elevated
levels of Cs-137 in man,  and have made WBC  interpretation more interesting
in certain cases.

Stewart Farber, MSPH

Farber Medical Solutions, LLC

Bridgeport, CT 06604