[ RadSafe ] Five men and a bomb

Thompson, Dewey L DThompson3 at ameren.com
Wed Jul 18 12:50:22 CDT 2012

--------------------------
Sent using BlackBerry

----- Original Message -----
From: radsafe-bounces at health.phys.iit.edu <radsafe-bounces at health.phys.iit.edu>
To: 'The International Radiation Protection (Health Physics) Mailing	List' <radsafe at health.phys.iit.edu>
Sent: Wed Jul 18 12:19:43 2012
Subject: Re: [ RadSafe ] Five men and a bomb

Greetings All,

Having spoken with some of the individuals working on these projects they
point out that there were always protocols.  It is just what are they?  Who
is on the panel? And what are the limits?

It has been pointed out to me that it was rare, if ever, there were "rogue"
scientists doing this.  It was an extension of Government policy and
authorized at various levels.  It is convenient to look back and say "how
terrible", but at the time there were other factors under consideration.  Do
you think these same decisions would be made today?  I am not so sure they
would not, but it depends on the circumstances.

Don't flame me on this, I am just pointing out that nearly all of this was
authorized at various levels and am not so sure it would not be repeated if
necessary.

All the more reason for diligence.

Robert J. Gunter, MSc, CHP